Harvard Business School
The Digital, Data, and Design (D^3) Institute at Harvard is looking for multiple energetic Lab Managers to drive research activities at our newly formed research labs. D^3 will have a formal launch in July 2022 with 10 newly minted labs that will provide cutting edge research faced by academics and practitioners.
Business, the global economy, and societies around the world are facing dramatic upheaval as a result of rapid technological change driven simultaneously by digitization, the application of artificial intelligence and machine learning to all facets of company, economic, and human data, and a new emphasis on the importance of design and innovation on value creation for stakeholders. D^3 (re)invents how organizations will compete and thrive in this new world and educates the next generation of leaders. Labs will be focused on topics that address the way companies will operate in the digital society of the future, and include: Business Model Transformation; Operating Model Transformation; Organizational and Workforce Transformation; Performance and Metrics; Data, Privacy and Transparency; and Societal Impact. D^3 is made up of a cohort of research labs led by Harvard Business School faculty; Harvard-wide faculty affiliates; core management and data science teams; and platforms that will facilitate interactions with external partners. For more information on D^3, please visit https://d3.harvard.edu.
The Lab Managers will work with faculty at two to four research labs to develop research protocols and execute ongoing projects. The Lab Managers will work with internal and external partners (previous projects have worked with Harvard Medical School, Broad Institute, NASA, financial organizations, large corporations, and more) to facilitate research projects. The Lab Managers will be key members of the D^3 team responsible for ensuring the success of the newly launched labs.
The Lab Managers will work under the direct supervision of the Labs Director and the Labs Associate Director. The Lab Managers will also work closely with D^3 core and platform staff. D^3 is looking for candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or new perspectives.
Candidates must be willing to work with a dynamic team with competing demands. Duties will include:
- Managing and developing scientific research programs
- Overseeing social science experiments and surveys
- Tracking deliverables and milestones on projects
- Developing presentations based on research findings
- Writing briefs, summaries, and white papers for research projects
- Managing various reviews of research protocols; including the Institutional Review Board (IRB), data use agreements (DUA), and data security application process with lab researchers
- Managing relationships with multiple faculty members
- Working closely with the lab’s Postdoctoral Fellows
- Managing staff Research Associates
- Overseeing visitors and students
- Communicating with internal and external partners and funders
- Responsible for funding deliverables and reports, monitoring timelines and budgets, collaborating with the finance team
- Facilitating and organizing internal and external network meetings, events, and conferences
- Arranging travel and lab purchases
- Other duties as needed
- B.A., B.S., or equivalent Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years in higher education or research
- Experience overseeing staff and teams
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- M.A, M.S., or equivalent Master’s Degree
- 8+ years of relevant work experience managing complex projects
- 8+ years of refined project management skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong understanding of research methods and protocols
- Strong scientific background
- Experience coordinating with external stakeholders
This is a full-time term appointment through June 30, 2024.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
This role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where you are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. Please note that we will be conducting interviews virtually (Zoom) for selected candidates until further notice.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS is profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and life experiences. Explore HBS work culture at https://www.hbs.edu/employment/.
USA - MA - Boston
RS0056 Researcher II Humanities
Division of Research and Faculty Development
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Appointment End Date
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.