The selected candidate will need to independently carry out clinical research studies (mainly reviews, outcomes studies, and special topics) from the preliminary stages all the way to publication. This includes background research, data collection/ entry/analysis, manuscript preparation, editing and submitting. The candidate must also be willing to meet with clinical research patients, recruit patients for studies, transcribe interviews, and maintain record of patient incentives. Previous experience in clinical research required.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
This candidate will also be an assistant for Dr. Kevin Chung, and be responsible for the following:
• Reviewing the picture and video databases to find specific conditions/patients, so as to provide other team members with pictures for presentations, papers, and other research/clinical endeavors. The candidate should be familiar with basic hand and forearm anatomy.
• Assisting with taking pictures and videos in clinic.
• Preparing and formatting photos for publications in research papers and textbooks using Adobe Photoshop and PowerPoint.
• Maintaining an organized database of the videos taken in the clinic and the operating room.
• Reviewing medical files and operative notes. Previous experience with MiChart is highly recommended.
• Editing operative videos using video editing software, to be published in Dr. Chung's textbooks.
• Preparing PowerPoint presentations (based on given instructions) on various hand conditions and other medical topics, to be presented at various medical conferences. Familiarity with various common hand conditions and injuries is preferred.
• Using PubMed and other scientific search engines to perform literature searches and using EndNote software to manage references.
• Proofreading scientific manuscripts and book chapters, which will be submitted to various medical journals.
• Organizing textbooks and communicating with publishers and authors via email, phone, Zoom, Bluejeans, and Skype. Excellent and timely communication skills are necessary.
• Assisting international fellows in study development and manuscript preparation. Foreign language skills are beneficial.
• Data entry for various research projects
• Candidate must be willing to learn the various hand conditions that Dr. Chung treats, in order to be able to perform all of these tasks (may require some prior knowledge of basic sciences/physiology, or an extreme willingness to learn).
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.